Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Lecture 5 Written Discourse

It never came across my mind that different cultures do actually write very differently and follow a certain pattern till this class. Maybe it is because I am most of the time in Singapore and am hardly exposed to written discourse by people of other cultures. From this class, I learnt that written discourse types can be identified with genetic language types namely,
1) English linearity,
2) Semitic parallelism,
3) Oriental circular,
4) Romance digressive, and
5) Russian.

I found the activity we did during class very funny, especially when identifying the classical Chinese writing when translated to English! It seemed so deep, philosophical and hard to understand! I also learnt that one similarity among the written discourse of different cultures is that they follow a four-part structure which consist the introduction, development, transition and lastly, the closing. To tell you honestly, I have never analyzed written discourse this way. Interesting!((:

1 comment:

  1. Good you found it interesting. I thought analysis of written language would be very boring.

    ReplyDelete